Google
 

Friday, June 10, 2005

Merdeka! Merdeka!

Merdeka! Merdeka!

20050410-4.jpg
The late Tunku after passing his ACCA exams...

Do not adjust your wristwatches or even your calendar. It is not yet the 31st August and yet another celebration of Malaysia's independence day. It is however a celebration of independence of sort for me, as I've finally finished the last of my 2 ACCA papers this last Wednesday. Well, I can't really say that everything is done and over with yet as I still have 8 more papers to sit for, assuming I pass the 2 papers I sat for this time. Classes for the December examination should begin sometime in July. Nevertheless, I'm going to bask in this moment of temporary freedom while it lasts. Ahhhh....

So how did it go? Well, I'm happy to say that I think it went okay. My exam answers weren't exactly award-winning material, but I think I've done enough to realistically hope for a pass. Yep, a pass is all I need. Gone are the days when I used to come home from an exam going through my class notes and textbooks checking whether I've given the right answers in the exam, and then estimating what score I would probably be getting. And in those days, anything less than 90% was considered as a disappointment. These days, even the passing mark of 50% is considered such a sacred number that I would happily accept it if someone had told me before the exam that's the score I would be getting. Boy, how time has changed.

Doing my studies part time has opened my eyes to a few things which I used to take for granted. One of them is how much time a full time student has in his hands to prepare for the exams, compared to us part timers. Having to do it part time, I've had to plan my revision time properly, and squeeze it through my busy work and social schedule. And it is even more difficult than I make it sound. Like I've mentioned before, it is the last thing that you fancy, to open your 300 over pages textbook, together with your yellow-colored highlighted class notes, after you've just had a long day at the office. And in my case, when I say long days at the office, I literally mean it. I can count with the fingers on my right hand of the number of days I've actually left the office before 6pm in a year.

As much as I dread it, that's exactly what I've forced myself to do this last couple of weeks. Been staying till past midnight on some ocassions worming my textbooks and highlighting lines on my class notes. It requires quite a considerable amount of mental strength to get myself doing all that.

Come to think of it, the revision doesn't feel so bad after you've survived the first hour of it. And even more so, it could sometime prove difficult to switch off your head when going to bed later in the night. It is the next morning when the real test sets in, when you have to wake up. And knowing you'd have to go through the same routine all over again.

Until of course, the end of the exams. Which is why I'm rejoicing this moment so much, temporary though it might be.

Before walking into the exams hall, you can see all sorts of emotions visible on the faces of the candidates. There were the confident ones, those with the relaxed eyebrows and slight smile, a reflection of quiet confidence. These kinds of people are ready for anything you throw them, and therefore are peace in mind. And then there are those who spot questions, and have that slightly wary look about them. The forehead is slightly stretched, as the eyebrows are dragged to the centre of their faces by the tension. "If they start asking about question A rather than question B, I'm gonna be dead meat" is the favourite theme in these people's minds.

And then there are those who are totally unprepared for it. This group can be divided into 2 though: 1. The first is the one with the deceptive smile, one which makes you think they're prepared. The smile in fact is just a sign of calm resignation, knowing that all the worries in the world would not help to serve the cause in the next few hours of the exams; 2. The second is the remorseful type, and you will see they have that sorry "I promise to myself I would not get myself in this situation again in the future" look. This 2nd type is more optimistic however, and they're the ones who first come up with the phrase "it might not be as bad as you think". They believe in miracles, and however dismal their performance in the exam might be, still hopeful for the improbable.

My exams result will come out in August. And I am counting on it to be a month of multiple celebrations for me. Amiin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool! ;)