Google
 

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag...

Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag...

I have an announcement to make. I have been keeping the news for quite a while now, biding my time for the right moment to spill it. Not that I want to make a big deal out of it either. The big news is? Both my wife and I are expecting a baby come this August.

So finally I've said it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as excited as the guy who finally got his full driving licence after driving with a probationary 'P' sticker for 2 years when I first got the news. And just like that guy who finally managed to move on from the ridicule of having that red hot 'P' stuck on the front and back of his car, I would have loved to inform the whole world about this piece of news of joy for me and my wife. But somehow, I just didn't feel right talking about it, especially when the pregnancy was still at its early stages.

For one, I've heard some of the elders said that it is not wise to talk about it so much, or make too big a deal out of it, especially when the pregnancy is still at its early stages. Maybe they felt it sounds a bit boastful or too early to sound the gong and tell the whole world about it, at least not until the pregnancy has come to its last trimester. I guess there is some validity to the argument. It has a 'don't count your chicks before they hatch' ring to it. And even as my wife's come to her last trimester, I've never stopped praying to The Almighty for the good health and being of my beloved wife and baby until the day of the delivery comes. Amiin.

But of course as time progresses it becomes increasingly difficult not to talk about it, or the anticipation of the little one's arrival. Inevitably, I would feel compelled to talk about the preparation for parenthood and a lot of other stories relating to pregnancy and babies. And after doing our first preliminary shopping for baby stuffs today, I felt perhaps it was finally time for me to come out clean about it.

Getting ourselves started on the shopping felt a bit weird. None of us had done this before, obviously, so we weren't quite sure of the essential things to get first. I have been getting some tips from friends who are parents themselves on what to get, and the advices are pretty much the same: ration your purchases ie buy little by little, to go easy on the wallet. The main things to get first would be the essentials, things you would need urgently after the baby's born. So with that in mind, and not to mention that I'm desperately waiting for the next pay day, we bought some diapers, towel, baby wipes, and 2 pairs of baby outfits. Nothing much to get any baby jumping up and down to get excited about, really. The next round of shopping shall take place in 2 weeks, and it promises to be a more exciting outing than the first one. Am thinking of looking around for a baby cot and a small cupboard for the baby's stuffs.

And speaking about cats, my pet cat Neo died yesterday after being run down by a car. Poor cat. You would always be remembered for having foot fetish and play with our feet whenever we do our laundry. And despite the name we gave you, we know now you were never meant to fulfil any prophecy. Nevertheless Neo, you will be missed.

Roger and out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both soon to be mommy and daddy!!! children can really change your life but it is really worth while. Few months to go...so, enjoy the undisturbed nites while u still can hehe :p

Izwan said...

Thanx shasha. ;-) You are right about how our lifestyle would change with the arrival of the little one. I can see how little sleep my sis and bro in law has been getting since they got Hannah. But as you said it, it'll all be worthwhile...

Izwan said...

Hi purple! Thanx for dropping by. Nothing is more cool than dropping in when someone is making an announcement of good news. You sort of get some of the applause too... hehe...

You bet I've bought those mittens and booties for the baby. And I'm looking for one of those that read "I Love Papa" and "I Love Mama" on them. Hehe... so you're saying you weren't a terrible scratcher too? :p

ieda said...

hmmm..this big news did not come as a surprise 4 me..i kinda read between the lines in previous post & got the hint ;)

congrats 2 the both of u, would-be-parents..i know how hard it has bn 4 u 2 keep it all in all this while ;)

Izwan said...

Ieda: I've always thought of you as being a bit quicker off the blocks than the average person, so should there be anyone to have read the hint already, my bet it would have been you first.. ;-)

Thanx for the well wish. I had so much to tell from the experiences of the last 2 trimesters, but really I'm not very good at recounting events. But this I can say, it's taught me a lot of the things I could learn to become a better hubby and father, insya-Allah... ;-)