Google
 

Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Hair Raising Experience

A Hair Raising Experience

We use ten per cent of our brains. Imagine how much we could accomplish if we used the other 60 per cent.

Ellen Degeneres, The Beginning

Been spending the whole weekend preparing myself for my ACCA exams in a week’s time. I tell you, it’s a struggle. After a long week of grueling work at the office, your mind does not really fancy another grueling weekend hitting the books. To be honest, I am beginning to feel that studying probably takes more hard work than your usual routine work at the office. While office work can become routine after a while, and with routine comes comfort at the regularity, studying means having to know and understand something new. And of course not to mention, the classic dreadful feeling of having to be examined on them.

Einstein once said that the average human being only utilise up to ten per cent of their brain capabilities. Maybe there is some truth in that. In pushing myself to do as much revision as possible these past weekends, my body metabolism was so high that I think my body lost as much water revising over 6 hours as I would jogging for an hour. Even after drinking jug after jug of water, I wasn’t making as many trips to the loo as I would usually do under normal circumstances. It felt like I was risking overheating my brain as I attempted to go over the average brain speed norm of ten per cent. I think I must have hit 10.5% max.

I once heard that after Einstein passed away, his brain was retained for research, to find out what the brain of someone of his genius is made of. What they found out was the mucus (or something that separates the cortex of our brains, I’m not sure of the right term used to describe it. My science has always been a bit hazy) that separates his right and left brain was almost non existent, that it practically enabled Einstein to use the functions associated with the respective hemispheres of his brain to the fullest. Electric signals could be transmitted faster between the 2 cortex of his brains, which is not just essential for quick thinking and decision making, but also made him a very creative person. His brain was therefore a sizzling data processing machine, which probably explains the electric-charged hair-do he is usually spotted with in his famous pictures.

20050410-4.jpg
That electric-charged hair-do is probably due to brain overheating

My hair’s still down, so I guess I’ve not done enough revision as I’m supposed to. Until the day of my exams next week, it is going to be a loooong and hair-raising journey for me.

No comments: