Google
 

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Of Men and Buses

Of Men and Buses

While waiting for the bus today, I was reminded of a poem that I first came across just before my graduation 4 years ago. I had bought a book of a compilation of the top 500 poems voted as most popular in that year (2000). I bought it because I just felt like reading something different, or maybe because I was driven by the notion that women find men who could recite poetry to them attractive. Do they?

The poem cheekily makes a comparison between men and buses, which I am sure some of the women out there would agree. :-) Funnily, it only serves to remind me how the bus I used to take in my studying days to the university would always come in twos and threes after I'd waited for one for what would seem like eternity.

Enjoy!

Bloody Men

Wendy Cope, 1945 -

Bloody men are like bloody buses
You wait for about a year
And as soon as one approaches your stop
Two or three others appear.

You look at them flashing their indicators,
Offering you a ride.
You're trying to read the destinations,
You haven't much time to decide.

If you make a mistake, there is no turning back.
Jump off, and you'll stand there and gaze
While the cars and the taxis and lorries go by
And the minutes, the hours, the days.

No comments: