Google
 

Thursday, July 22, 2004

My Brother’s Graduation

My Brother’s Graduation

Today was my younger brother’s graduation ceremony. He is now a graduate of Southampton University. Congratulations Didi!

Interestingly, my own graduation was on the 21st July in the year 2000. That was 4 years and 1 day ago to be exact.

Among the outstanding feature of today’s graduation ceremony, apart from seeing my brother go onstage and collect his scroll from the Vice Chancellor, was to witness the achievement of 2 physically challenged students to graduate along with the other normal physically-able students. One of the special students was blind, and the other, if I am not mistaken, is suffering from the same condition as the brilliant Stephen Hawking. The applause that they received when they went to collect their respective scrolls was deafening and you could feel the inspiration that they exuded to the guests in the graduation hall. It makes you feel amazed at what one can achieve, regardless of one’s physical condition, if one has the grit and determination to succeed.

I certainly can learn from their success.

After the ceremony was the customary post-ceremony reception. The food served was abundant, and if only they were all halal, I would have eaten more than just the egg roll and the chocolate muffin I had. There were all sorts of rolls, pastries and puffs. Well, I guess it’s good that I wasn’t able to eat most of the food served since I am supposed to be on a diet anyway.

My dad had his customary photo in a graduation gown taken, wearing my brother’s gown. My dad did the same thing at my older sister’s graduation and mine too, posing as if he was the graduate himself. Only this time around, my mum and yours truly joined him in his ritual. Hehe.. it brings back the memory of my own graduation all over again.

Once again, congrats Didi!

No comments: