Google
 

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

This year, Chinese New Year brought a greater significance to my family than the usual customs of oranges and the blaring sounds of lion dance performances. For the first time, we got an insider's view of how the Chinese celebrates it.

My brother's wife, Farah is half Chinese and since her Chinese roots are in Kuala Terengganu, we decided to coincide our annual trip to the East Coast this year with Chinese New Year so that we could kill 2 birds with one stone: It is a good time to get to know the rest of Farah's family better. And what better way and time to do so than the time when all the family get together for their new year's gathering?

I must say the experience has been most enlightening. I've realised there are quite a number of good things that can be learnt from the Chinese community as far as family relations are concerned, and how they value and cherish such relations. Additionally, it also amazes me how easy it is for our families to blend together, across the divide of race and religion. We sat and chatted together, and when we later posed for a picture together, we weren't a picture of 2 different races, but of one big family. All I can say is that I have been richer by the experience. Heck, I even got a number of ang pows yesterday from my new Chinese relatives - so literally speaking it is also true.. ;)

Here's to a prosperous future and beautiful relationships that crosses the divide of race and religion.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

No comments: