Google
 

Sunday, March 21, 2004

Malaysia’s 11th Election, 21st March 2004 – The Preliminary Result

Malaysia’s 11th Election, 21st March 2004 – The Preliminary Result

The preliminary result of Malaysia’s 11th General Election has been released, and I have to say that I am shocked to say the least. BN looks like heading for another historic landslide victory, with even Kelantan and Terengganu not being spared. I still find it hard to believe the news. I was in Terengganu for the past 3 days, and taking the general sentiment of the locals there, you wouldn’t count against Pas making another clean sweep as they did in the 1999 general election. Instead, when the result was released just recently, the former Terengganu Menteri Besar Hj Abdul Hadi is reported to have lost his state seat in Marang by a majority of thousands. We’re not talking about a small fry leader here. He is revered and so well respected by the locals there. Believe me, my feeling is that the locals of Marang where he contested would wake up tomorrow wondering what actually happened on election day. And who would have expected Pas to lose that many seats in Kelantan? No offense to the BN in Kelantan, but they look more disunited and in shambles if compared to Pas over there. Don’t know whether I should expect any shocking news tomorrow when they do the recount. It’d be interesting to see what will come out in the news in the next few days post-election.

The only good thing I can think of from the election result is that the government might announce tomorrow a public holiday in celebration of another landslide victory. Honestly if you ask me, I can’t help smelling a grand scam behind the general election this time around. Again, the media will have a field day for the whole of next week at least covering on the subject.