Google
 

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Kursus Perkahwinan

Kursus Perkahwinan

Over the weekend, my fiancée and I attended the compulsory course for every Muslim to attend before marriage. Kursus Perkahwinan Islam. The course was held over 2 days, beginning from Saturday afternoon and ends in the early evening on Sunday. I didn’t quite know what to expect of the course to begin with, but I have to admit it turned out to be a refreshing eye opener in some aspects for me.

The course was held in Bangsar Utama, near the Bangsar LRT station, and Dataran Maybank. One distinctive feature that you would notice almost immediately once you arrive at the place is of the many pictures of artists and celebrities that have attended the course in the center in the past. But I have to say that the place where the lectures are held look rather shoddy however. It made me think how could such a place attract such celebrities? Ruhil Amani, Fauziah Latiff, Tun Mahathir’s son (Mokhzani), Tan Sri Halim Saad, and Norman Hakim and Abby Abadi were clients here, just to name a few. The place basically has a list of who’s who in their list of past clients. And I was about to join this distinguished list… (cewah).

The lectures were ok, the syllabus a mixture of religious studies, some tips on marriage psychology, and some tips that would definitely come in useful after marriage. They also gave us directions on what forms need to be filled up and where we could get them from. One of the things I’ve learned while attending the course is that marriage requires so much paper work. Phew… and different states in Malaysia would require you to fill up different forms and to follow different procedures. So they had to separate our forms according to the states you’re from, and the states where you’d be getting married in. Another interesting feature about the course is that they have cameras fitted in the lecture rooms to monitor the participants, to make sure that none of us disappear after registration. Whoa… big brother’s watching you!

Being there with all the other participants made me feel how collective we were. You could sense the commitment in everyone. From the way they look, these people knew why they were there. When I checked the participants’ registry, I saw that the age of the male participants range from 21 to 36. And there were people from all background. There was this guy (who looked like he could not be any older than 23) who told me the woman he’s going to marry is a divorcee with a child. And apparently the woman’s ex-husband is thinking about taking her back, and thus is not about to give her up so easily. And from rumors that I heard, there was also a female participant who was already pregnant. The procedure that she would have to go through would therefore be different from the rest of us. There were people from all sorts of background and circumstances, but we were all there for the same purpose.

At the end of the 2 day course, I learnt more than what I bargained for. Though the certificate is what matters most, I’ve also learnt that I am very much luckier than most people are. And that I’m very thankful for. Alhamdulillah.

To those out day who are getting married soon, I would recommend this place to you. You can even register online here.