Google
 

Saturday, April 19, 2008

My 2008 Resolutions: A Review

The famous saying goes, time and tide waits for no man, and before you could even ask "what happened?", the year 2008 is almost 1/3 through. It feels like it was only so recently that I made a posting on my resolution at the beginning of this year, and walla, what do you know? It's already April and there's exactly 256 days left to the year.

Whoa!

Back in my studying days, countdowns can have quite an unnerving effect. I know some of my more nerdy friends used to make countdowns on the number of days before the beginning of the year end exams, which never failed to make my tummy turn. Which is why I never made a point to track the time I had left before such big and important events like my exams, interviews, or presentations. It was like my way of running away from reality and not wanting to acknowledge the eventual truth / reality that I would have had to face until it finally came, by which time of course it would have been too late for me to make any difference about.

Therein lies a long standing inherent problem about myself, which I've only recently came to comprehend. I run away from problems, and I am a coward when it comes to confronting harsh realities.

However, that's another story which I shall share with you some other time.

In the mean time, having gone through 1/3 of the year, I feel it's appropriate for me to review where I am in the scheme of what I've resolved to achieve in the year. Success is hard to gauge if it is not measured, and if I really am resolute about my resolutions, I need to know where I am as far as achievements of my resolutions is concerned.

1. To become a better Muslim
If I may be honest, I am rather ashamed that I have not made any significant progress in this respect. I should strive harder to at least achieve what I had set to achieve in this respect early this year.

2. To be a better son, husband and father
I don't know if in the eyes of my parents, wife and daughter, I have really become any better. But I have learnt to be more considerate and patient this year. I have been listening more than I talk. Problems can resolved better when you resort to listening and understanding others instead of talking or lecturing too much. Like a good friend of mine once pointed out, we have one mouth and two ears, but we somehow choose to talk more than we listen...

3. To be more organised
This is like having to move a big heavy rock from its resting place over the last 30 years; it's bloody heavy! My middle name could even be Disorganised! I have tried to improve in this respect. I need to plan better and spend more time on working this out. Short term target: Keep my workstation at the office neat for 1 month.

4. To lose weight
I had intended to record my progress here on a weekly basis. Later I decided to make it a bi-weekly exercise due to seemingly lack of progress that could be achieved in 1week to post any meaningful progress. It has been over 2 months now since my last update on my weight loss challenge and progress is akin to human population on the moon; non-existent. I have however resorted to an intervention plan this last couple of weeks to boost the effort a little bit, which I hope will spring in some results this next couple of weeks. I shall share with you what the plan is only if it reaps success. Malu la cerita sekarang. Sekali no change jugak...

5. To pass all my remaining ACCA papers in one sitting
I did pass the exams I sat for in December 07, after attempting it for the 3rd time! So the omen looks good for my next sitting in June 08.
To do: A set of past year paper for each of the paper I'm sitting for this June 08 on a weekly basis until the exam day. From this weekend onwards.

6. To learn and excel at my new working place
Still work in progress. Not much to comment as yet...

7. To have more regular postings in this blog
This posting inclusive, this year has witnessed the 3rd highest postings made in a year in this blog since I first started blogging. Horay to that, and I hope it will continue till the end of the year.

8. To develop a new hobby
Nothing as yet. I have not even had a look at the bike in the store room. Been too busy really. Maybe an easier hobby to undertake now? Hmmm...

9. To inculcate a habit of reading
I have managed to read a book thus far, and I've even made a commentary about it here. Been moving at a snail's pace with the second book though.

So much planned, and now so much to do and so little time. I had better get cracking...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi rajin gak ko mengupdatekan blog ko ni... aku dah berenti sket punya lama dah...

Bila nak datang umah aku?

- rosazad-

Max J. Potter said...

diet...em..

i dont really know what to say. why do people wanna lose weight anyway? i mean, those fat they gather..it's all from food we bought with MONEY, you know..it's like, burning your money away.. hehe.