Google
 

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Be Nice To Everyone 'Coz You'll Never Know...

Be Nice To Everyone 'Coz You'll Never Know...

I'm away from the office attending a course today and tomorrow. It is nice to be away from the office once in a while, even though for a simple mandatory course that you have to attend as required by the job. Sort of breaks the monotony of the day to day routine. And anything that breaks the monotony usually has the effect of giving you a kick-start into reality once again, reminding you there is more to life than your 9-5 job and the lunches at Asian Flavours or Signatures. And while we're on the subject of lunches, there is always something to look forward to when it comes to food when you're attending training or courses.

The training I'm attending this next 2 days is an internal training provided by the company I work for, and the norm with internal training is that the trainers are usually senior staffs of the company who volunteers (or rather forced to volunteer really. Like they have the choice anyway... ) to become line trainers. To my surprise, I found out today that the person who provides our training is an acquaintance of mine whom I used to know back when I was in the UK. And he's not any older than I am. I gathered from him over lunch just now that he's now a senior manager in one of the subsidiaries of our company. And to think of I'm still in the midst of an assessment process whether or not I qualify to be doing a senior executive job.

So it was a bit weird having to sit back and listen like a good trainee when I used to not think much of him in the past. You see, we used to have our differences and to cut a long story short, I once did something enough to ruffle his feathers by a bit. He's the typical high energy go-getter whom usually gets on people's nerves, and steps on quite a few of people's feet. Professionally however, I have the utmost respect for him. And putting the baket of sour grapes aside, you can't help but admire someone like him who's gone that far in his career in an environment where such occurences is not the norm for someone his age. On that respect bro, I take my hat off to you.

I don't think he keeps a grudge of what happened between us in the past. He's not really asked me the difficult to impossible questions in class. Well, at least not yet...

No comments: